Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sea!


This is "Sea." Say hi to all the druidfolk, Sea. *Sea waves...*

Get it? "Waves?" Okay, no more puns for tonight, I promise. ;-)

Sea is composed of several largish hollow glass beads which I created on my torch here at home. These are actually a bit more blue than in the picture. (I need to get my photo setup set back up, but this will do for now.) The stations are sterling silver charms - each side has charms to represent many of the major life forms in the sea. There is a sea turtle to represent reptiles, a seashell to represent mollusks, a starfish to represent echinoderms, a dolphin to represent mammals and a fish bead to represent the fish. The bail on the blue-green coral focal represents the plant life, because it looked to me like seaweed. And the coral pendant represents the corals.



Here is another picture, with the whole necklace.

This is a bit larger and bulkier than I normally do, but I wanted the bubble beads to really shine. Hollow beads have a lot more sparkle than solids do - the play of light can be pretty fantastic. The glass used to make them is Bullseye's Blue-Green Algae odd lot glass, which has blues and greens all mixed up together with a bit of adventurine sparkle. It really does look like a deep sea pool. It's one of my favorite glasses.

0 comments: